Attics have become so much more than just an additional storage space in the roof. Depending on the size of your attic, it can act as another room in the house. If you have a decent sized attic space and have considered converting it to more usable space then you may also be wondering about the costs involved in converting an attic. Below we outline several factors which may impact on the cost of your attic conversion.
Whilst larger spaces will certainly require more materials, oftentimes smaller spaces can be more complicated and time consuming to work within. But basically the more walls which need to be moved, demolished or constructed, the greater the cost of the project.
The detail and quality of the overall finish will also impact on the project cost. If you will only require your attic to act as an additional storage area then insulating, water proofing, flooring and lighting might be all that is required of the conversion – see our guide to basic loft conversions. However if you intend to turn it into a bedroom, a study or a home cinema for instance, then a much larger proportion of your budget will go into flooring and wall coverings, window blinds or curtains and furniture.
Accessing your Attic
An additional cost factor which you must consider when converting your loft or attic space is accessibility. As mentioned above, sometimes smaller spaces can incur additional costs. For instance if it is an awkward space to get to with tools and equipment then labour costs charged by a contractor may well be higher. Other fac.
You should also budget for new furniture for the new space. If you want to maximise the space in your attic you may wish to consider built in storage or wardrobes which will require the input of a skilled joiner on your contractors team.
General Cost Guide;
The following is an overall guide to the typical costs of a standard attic conversion. These costs are provided as a guideline only and are not intended to provide accurate pricing. If you require a more accurate quote please contact us for a FREE onsite consultation.
- Small attic conversion including timber joists, lighting, attic stairs, insulation and plaster boarding and 2nd electrical fix. €15,000-€17,000
- Medium conversion including timber joists, lighting, attic stairs, insulation and plaster boarding and 2nd electrical fix. €18,000-€24,000
- Large conversion including timber joists, lighting, attic stairs, insulation and plaster boarding and 2nd electrical fix €25,000-€40,000
- Storage attic conversion including flooring, lighting and attic ladder €700-€1000
- Attic stairs €500-€800 for a traditional straight flight or spiral €1000-€2000
- Roof lights €500-€750
- Dormer window €4000-€6000